Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Saucy Shrimp and Grits

Another one adapted from Everyday FOOD magazine, but being the lazy cook that I am I used premade grits (just added some Smart Balance and milk) and real bacon bits (I also thought I had used the bacon but it turns out it was just under some other things in the drawer:) I also cheated by buying frozen cooked shrimp (they were the cheapest available) so I just had to defrost, detail and throw in to heat.
Simple ingredients:
- premade grits (plus Smart Balance and milk)
- 2 TBLSP butter
- real bacon bits (the kind you buy for salad, a whole lot less cleanup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic (I estimate from the jar:)
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 pound large frozen shrimp
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
These grits could be either cooked in the microwave or stove top, I opted for microwave, as I have three kids, a job and all our busy schedules in tow.
Melted butter and then sauteed the onion and garlic till tender, added tomatoes and brought to a boil, threw in the hot sauce and shrimp and done!

3 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Nice quick delicious meal.

Chef E said...

Being from the South, this is an A+ for me!

Janine said...

The farthest South we're from is South Jersey, so my family weren't too sure about this at first:)