Thursday, December 4, 2008

Cheesy Potato Bean Soup

My kids have TaeKwonDo twice a week so one of the days becomes my crock pot meal and the other my casserole night, they're not fancy meals and I try to be somewhat healthy but the truth is, they're better then frozen meals (unless you spend the money for the really healthy ones that are like twice the price).

Another one adapted from my 5-ingredient slow cooking booklet from Better Homes and Gardens (another grab by the cash register, but this one really paid off:)

What's in it....
- 2 cans of condensed cream of chicken soup (I used fat free, but would rather have used low sodium)
- 3-4 cups frozen diced hash browns
- 3 cups water
- 1 15-19 oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- fennel seeds (you were supposed to crush but I was in a rush, that rhymes:)
- 8 oz. Swiss cheese slice torn
Stick the first five ingredients in the crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours

Before serving add the cheese and mix it in.

I served it with a slice of toast with Smart Balance. Two of my kids cleaned their bowls. Mr. picky (my middle child) just ate his toast and picked out the beans:)

Sorry this is out of focus. It was a rushed dinner night.

5 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Who doesn't need some quick meals? Tonight is karate night.

Chef E said...

Hey I would not even had eaten that with white beans when I was a kid, so you are lucky they eat it...Quick meals work in a pinch!

Janine said...

I try really hard to get them to try new things and eat things that aren't just kid food. We get some battles. I may not make them clean their plates but I make sure to give them small portions and they have to eat whatever portion I tell them. My middle one, the pickiest was eating very unhealthy and was getting sick a lot, so my hubby and I had to put our foot down and his health has improved and now he actually asks to try new things, sometimes at least:)

anudivya said...

This is a nice and healthy meal. BTW, what would be a good susbtitute for the cream of chicken soup if I am making this dish vegetarian?

Janine said...

anudivya - I was thining that myself as I was making it since it's only one ingredient away, Cream of Mushroom would work, Campbells also has cream of asparagus and I think cream of celery (which I don't like dig) if you wanted to experiment.