Thursday, March 5, 2009

Rachel Ray's "Moo Shu Noodles"

Another one of Rachel's (recipe here) and it was a big family hit. I cut some corners to save some pennies on this one. All the veggies were bought from produce junction and I used button mushrooms instead of shiitake and thin cut pork chops with the bone in instead of boneless (they were cheaper and I got them on manager's special).

The fettuccine was Shoprite's brand, I didn't use egg ones because I couldn't find them.

shredded ginger and scallions



Instead of using hoisin and soy sauce I just used up the rest of my Soyaki from Trader Joes and added a little bit of soy sauce (I don't like things too sweet).

After I browned the meat I sauteed the ginger and scallions and then added the mushrooms, finally the nappa cabbage.

Another note - I've started using bouillon or "better than bouillion" instead of the stock in the box to save money. I've also been looking for the low sodium ones.

The vegetables made a lot of juice so I took some out and whisked in flour to thicken the sauce.

The finished product.


This fed my family of five and had three individual meals leftover for lunches. I find that when I put them away in individual meals the leftover actually get eaten and I can also freeze them for later (who needs Lean Cuisine on Stoufer's:).

4 comments:

Chef E said...

I just saw an Alton Brown show on making something similar, and this looks good to me, and I like that pack it up for other meal part of the post, I also do that for hubby, but make him pack it up :)

Janine said...

:) My hubby does the cleaning so I don't mind packing leftovers:) Sometimes the kids eat them too, they evn pack them in their lunches (or rather I do) in thermoses if they really like it.

CookingCourtney said...

that looks so good, and what a good idea to put everything in individual servings!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Yum! I love Produce Junction. Trader Joe's has this great bouillion that comes in packets of 12.